Click on above ad for more information

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

THE FLOOD OF '57



Being brought up in Malacca and having lived in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Padang Besar, I had never seen a flood. This was about to change. There were many firsts during my two years sojourn in Kota Bahru, Kelantan where my dad was posted to.

For some reason, my elder brother did not follow in the move. I always thought that it could be due to his Standard 6 exam but then it was not to be in a few years time. So, there we were, just my parents, younger brother and I making the move. We traveled to Kota Bahru by train, the Malayan Railway. The journey was not without it's tense moments as we were actually traversing communist infested jungle areas. Once the train actually stopped somewhere to await for another train to pass and I noticed the urgency in the guards checking all the doors. Some of you may even recall that the last carriage usually carried guards and soldiers. All being well then, we were met at the Kota Bahru Railway Station by a staff who then took us across the Kelantan River by ferry and then by a Land Rover to our quarters. You see the town was across the river from the railway station. My elder brother would come to visit us during the school holidays.

In the East Coast the monsoon would hit long and hard. I had never seen anything like it before. The rain would last a week or so. Then, a short pause and the rain would start again, never really stopping. Makeshift clothes lines were made indoors for the washings. After a week the grass would turn yellow due to lack of sunshine. Rivers would start swelling up and all low lying areas would soon become underwater. We were fortunate that the quarters area was on high ground. Our neighbours were not so lucky. By then,  they must have been so used to the annual weather change. They even had a boat handy for transport to the front gate and hence the main road. I once took a boat ride to inspect the area behind their house. It was then that I knew there was a river back there. No wonder the place was always flooding!

We were told that Kelantanese enjoy the floods. They, especially the young maidens, would come out in nice clothes to play in the flood waters. It was said that that would be a very good opportunity for girls and boys to meet or see one another and foster some hope of matrimony. As "outsiders" we found this rather amusing, dangerous and err...a health hazzard!

The above picture shows my dad, younger brother (shirtless) and myself accompanying my dad's friend, Uncle Ibrahim (with shoes in hand) out from his abode. He had become stuck at home due to the flood. I am further behind with some stuff in my hand.

Now I know why Kelantanese traditional houses have very high stilts.

2 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Azimah, when I was growing up in Kuantan, the flood or Bah as we call it then, was an annual affair with water, that we often wait and enjoy bathing in the rain and playing in the swelling drain. It was fun and our parents at that time was not unduly worried unlike now where kids are over protective, as such they hardly get to mandi hujan, like we do where we were kids.

Thanks for sharing the images which rekindled past happening.

Have a nice day.

MANDALAY said...

Thanks , Idrus. Indeed it was an annual affair that came in with the monsoon. I am sure those kids did take full advantage of the Bah. You must also remember all the things possibly swept by the water especially from the back yard :)