Click on above ad for more information

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

MY CATASETUM IS IN BLOOM AGAIN!


@ 07-09-10
I had bought my only Catasetum at an orchid show some years ago. A small variety no doubt but it was what I could afford! It has given  me many blooms and in time I have managed to have  four pots through  splitting of the fleshy pseudobulbs (recommended at the start of a new growth) and  patiently tending them  At times they did not survive!

 Repotting

Three of the pots have  produced spikes since a couple of weeks ago and I reckon I would be having an interesting Hari Raya this year observing and admiring them develop. 

 Catasetums With Spikes

When I first had the Catasetum, I just hung it under my orchid stand where it received quite an amount 
of light. It had been producing female flowers that look bulbous much like the bishop's hat! (See pic #5). My first spike produced only two or three blooms of green and brown hue. I have never seen such flowers and I thought they were rather strange looking. 

 Catasetum - Female Flowers
Catasetum is the most interesting of the deciduous orchid genus. There are over 100 species which are native of  Mexico to Argentine and Peru. It is a sympodial, epiphytic plant. I grow mine in pots with broken bricks and charcoal as medium. I do not know it's species but it does have a strong semblance of the Catasetum expansum. The interesting thing about Catasetum is it produces separate spikes of male and female flowers. It is seldom hermaphrodite or produce perfect flowers. The male flowers can eject pollina up to 8 ft. 

 Catasetum Spike


The fleshy pseudobulbs are deciduous inferring to a need for care in watering and it's dormancy requirement. It will lose it's foliage, usually about 6-8 leaves, after completing the flowering cycle. New pseudobulb will grow from the base. Regular watering and weekly fertilising with 20-20-20, N-P-K content  is recommended. Note that different medium may require different type of fertilizer. For example, if a tree bark is used it is recommended to use 30-10-10  fertilizer. While brighter light produces more vigorous growth and better blooms, it tends to produce female flowers. A shadier environment would produce male flowers.


When the spike is about 4" - 6" it may be staked to avoid breakage and  encourage good flower arrangement and it is recommended that it face the same side during the inflorescence development.



In this article  are images of my Catasetum spike at various stages of development. Enjoy them.













Note : I have had confirmation that the above orchid is actually Catasetum pileatum.

3 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Azimah. A gorgeous flower indeed. Such a mystic that's worth the wait.

Flower always made me happy. True as they say 'Flower is the keeper of our joy'. Perhaps this is a gift for the Raya.

Selamat Hari Raya to you and the family. Take care.

MANDALAY said...

The following are responses from my Facebook:

Azimah Othman: My Catasetum orchid is in spike. There are more spikes on it this time round and there are two pots of potential blooms. Now am anticipating male blooms that may last till Hari Raya! Well, will follow up on that.
September 2 at 3:40pm · Like ·
Thamrong สมชาย ธำรง Whatever it worth, I take it as a silverlining during the HR.
September 2 at 4:02pm

A Ghani Muda: Keep us updated. Post more pictures
September 2 at 8:57pm

Azimah Othman: I sure will, Ghani.
September 2 at 9:00pm

Azimah Othman: The flowers are beginning to bloom. Thei is only a small species. Imagine what a big one would be like ....the spray can be a a yard long! Still am happy with small variety.....makes potting easy :)
September 6 at 10:31am

Thim Shoy Lee: they bloom at he right time for Hari Raya. Selamat Hari Raya to all your friends and families.
September 6 at 10:40am

Azimah Othman: Thanks. They sure do !
September 6 at 10:57am

Thamrong สมชาย ธำรง: Woman bliss is when her flowers bloom and the husband is shackled slave in the kitchen.
September 6 at 11:17am

A Ghani Muda: Beautiful. How long the flowers will last?
September 6 at 11:47am

Zai Akma: cantik.. would be the centre of attraction during raya ..
September 6 at 12:22pm · Like ·
Syamsul Bahary fresh our eyes in the morning.....
September 6 at 12:43pm

Azimah Othman Ghani>They usually last 1-2 weeks. There are are 2 more pots with spikes. Probably this is my Raya hamper :)
September 6 at 9:06pm ·

Azimah Othman: The colour has lighten up somewhat today...looking so fresh ...and so good to be eaten.
September 7 at 3:14pm · Like ·
Idrus Abu Bakar Such a gorgeous flower. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
September 7 at 3:20pm

Idrus Abu Bakar: Such a gorgeous flower. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
September 7 at 3:20pm

MANDALAY said...

Following are comments on my images in the Orchid Board. BTY, hamizao is my nick:

kavanaru : hamizao, this is a very nice Catasetum. Do you have another picture, showing better the lip? I am almost sure this is not Ctsm expansum but Ctsm pileatum... However, I cannot see in these picture very well, whether the typical expansum callus is well formed in the center of the lip or not (looks like not!).Ramón



LAGOON : So beautiful

kavanaru : Hamizao, I just visited your website... there are better pics of your plant there, and yes, 100% sure: this is a gorgeous Ctsm pileatum! Ramón

isuruz79 : Those flowers look HUGE! Congrats! Really nice.

nancy : I agree with Ramon, this is a very beautiful pileatum. A rose by another name...
Cheers - Nancy

Anisa : Beautiful. I am sorry but this genius is still new to me. What is the difference between expansum and pileatum?

kavanaru : expansum and pileatum are "somehow similar", however, the labellum of pileatum is a bit rounder and somehow more elegant.. of course, this is very subjective, so let's go for the diagnostic differences.

both pileatum and expansum have a more or less marcant depression in the "middle" of the labellum, however, expansum has always a very distinctive callus in front of it Catasetum expansum 2010-03-14 01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Catasetum pileatum 'Christina' | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Also, the labellum of expansum tends to reflex strongly while pileatum does not (Note: Recently I have had a discussion with a friend who showed me a photo of a pileatum from south of Rio Negro, which aparently can have reflexed labellum too. He mentioned that apparently this is not uncommon in this population... I only know that photo!)

both species can have a very wide range of colors, being the tipo of pileatum white and the tipo of expansum greenish.. but you can find both species in yellow, green, white, red, bicolored, with spots... note: the spots in expansum are normally large and "bulky", while in pileatum they are very small and "never" bulky (note that I have written "never"... this is my understanding of this species, but cannot discard the possibility that at least one plant has bulky spots - there is a lot of genetic introgression from macrocarpum and possibly other species into pileatum!)
__________________
Ramón


Bolero: Very nice! I wish I could grow these beauties.

Thanks for sharing.

hamizao :Thanks guys for the discussion. My other Ctsm (from the same parent) is in bloom right now and another one is having a developing spike. The flowers are not fully blooming yet and they are about 6cm across and in hight. The petals and sepals and especially the 2 petals, have a tinge of stripy reddish colouration. This I expect to slowly turn to a lighter colour as the flowers mature.

I get the male flowers by putting the plants in a more shady part of the pergola.

I have added more pics to my album. I hope they will help with the identification. I will re-label if necessary.

kavanaru : that second plant is also very nice!

as per the correct ID, Ctsm pileatum...Ramón

hamizao :Thanks, kavanaru. I will re-label
__________________